Who left you here? It must have been someone who didn’t recognize your value. After all, it’s true what they say: only the wise know that every penny counts.
I know it must not be easy out here on your own. Isolated and alone… the last of your kind, among an endless and sticky landscape of chewed gum.
But hey, at least the weather is nice on the central coast of California. You can take comfort in the fact that you weren’t abandoned at Seattle’s gum wall, where the rain can be frequent and cruel. Here in San Luis Obispo, the sun shines upon you and makes you gleam, as you were meant to.
Where were you before, Penny? Buried at the bottom of someone’s purse? Hiding behind the crook of a bookshelf in a coffee shop? If I lean in close enough, will you tell me your story? Will you tell me how the new location compares?
It’s a tempting thought. Nevertheless, I’ll push aside the temptation to step closer to you. Momma warned me of the germs that chewed gum may carry, and I can’t risk disease just to get close enough to hear your secrets.
It’s been a very weird visit. Till next time, Penny.
If you would like to visit Penny, you can find her at the infamous San Luis Obispo Bubblegum Alley at the address below.
733 Higuera St
San Luis Obispo, CA 93401
While you’re there, don’t forget to also…
- Take a stroll down the alleyway.
- Leave behind a chewed piece of your favorite gum.
- Marvel at the sweet stench of sugar and aspartame filling the air.
- Take lots and lots of selfies for Instagram.
- Wonder why one of the most popular tourist attractions in San Luis Obispo is an alleyway filled with chewed bubblegum.
- Shrug your shoulders, and carry on with your fun day exploring SLO. (Might I suggest wine tasting with peacocks at Kelsey Vineyards next?)
Someone who “just doesn’t get the appeal” of a gum wall, but appreciates that San Luis Obispo likes to keep things weird.